The Monday shooting left at least four dead and eight injured in a gut-wrenching massacre in Tarsus, where a gunman is said to have launched multiple attacks in various areas.
The suspect moved through parts of the district, local reports and initial police records say, attacking multiple sites and sparking panic among many of the area’s residents. Those deadly attacks led police to engage in a broad investigation and security operations.
Multiple Locations Targeted
The violence is thought to have been conducted in many neighbourhoods in Tarsus, a large area in the Mersin Province in southern Turkey. Witnesses described confusion as some fled in public while gunfire exploded in public locations. Emergency responders, ambulances and heavily armed police units arrived in those areas soon after the attacks were reported. Several people were seriously wounded and were urgently rushed to regional hospitals to be treated. Officials said that at least four people died in the attacks and eight others were wounded in various forms to varying degrees. The injured are presumed to be in critical condition.
Gunman’s Motive Is Under Investigation
And, so far, Turkish officials have not been able to reveal the suspect’s name or what motivated the attacks. Experts said the preliminary pretext for the shootings could have included personal disagreements and a targeted altercation, but they are looking for alternatives.
And CCTV footage and eyewitness testimony are collected, along with police intelligence, during this investigation, authorities said. Officers are performing searches and forensic assessments at the crime scenes. The incident has caused widespread fear among the citizens here, or "shock" as many would say, it is not the first time that a gun has been reported to act like that in a large-scale manner at home.
Heavy Security Deployment
Later, after the attacks, additional security forces had been deployed to vast areas of Tarsus to monitor and pacify the civilian populace. Police had temporarily restricted movement in certain areas as they gathered evidence. Workers on a local administration team advised residents to wait their turn and to work closely together with the police until the investigation was complete.
When it was first reported, Turkish media attention was divided on the separate streets in the neighbourhoods of interest being closed off, and on the police searching heavily for traces.
Heightened Fears about Public Safety
After a gunfight, there was renewed controversy in Turkey regarding national security concerns, illicit weapons and mental health violence. While Turkey sees very high levels of safety among its citizens, occasional occurrences of shooting have led to an occasional national alarm call.
Citizens flooded social media with statements expressing condolences for the victims, and calls for action to be taken to ensure that families of the victims and perpetrators were treated promptly in response to the call. The authorities will probably elaborate on more details with the initial investigation, including written warnings directly issued to law enforcement and the national security officials.
Investigation Continues
The police officers and responders continued to keep an eye out and keep a close eye on whether the suspect was the same one or the one with a couple more. The remains of all victims are being observed in the hospital, and ballistic tests are being carried out at multiple of the various sites of the attack.
The fatal shooting has left a void in Tarsus, lamenting and, for generations, raised new questions about violence and fear in the region’s general security.