Jharkhand Exam Dispute: Students Suspend 26-Day Protest, Give Soren Government Two Months

Students in Jharkhand have suspended their 26-day protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, giving the Hemant Soren-led state government two months to address their concerns and ensure a fair investigation. The decision by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch came after the state government announced the cancellation of 22 recruitment examinations and ordered investigations into 23 other exams.

Jharkhand Exam Dispute | Photo Credit: x.com/JPSCreformanch
Jharkhand Exam Dispute | Photo Credit: x.com/JPSCreformanch

Students had been staging a sit-in protest in Ranchi to force the government to take action against alleged irregularities in several recruitment exams. Their concerns included the 14th Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) Civil Services Examination, the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and other recruitment tests in the state.

The students' organisation told us that the government’s recent action was a step in the right direction and one which would address our concerns about the recruitment examination system. And so the protesters made clear that the suspension of the agitation did not mean that their demands were dismissed.

"We are now suspending the stir and giving a two-month ultimatum to the government to resolve the problems and conduct a fair probe into recruitment exam irregularities," a leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch said.

The state government on Tuesday issued notifications on examinations conducted by the state public service commission and an outsourced agency since 2014. The cancellation of 22 examinations and investigation into 23 others will strengthen the scrutiny of the recruitment process and the mechanisms in which examinations are carried out in the state.

Students Demand Stronger Action

The students have asked the Chief Minister Hemant Soren to take stronger steps to prevent such flaws in government recruitment and such problems from recurring. Open and reliable recruitment is critical for safeguarding the interests of professionals who spend years preparing to face competitive exams, they said.

"We would like to urge Chief Minister Hemant Soren to take strong steps to prevent recurrence of job exam irregularities," Piyush Kumar Singh, JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch spokesperson added.

The group also demanded the withdrawal of police cases registered against protesters who participated in a march towards the state assembly on August 10. That demand is among the issues the students want the government to take into account during the two-month period.

Another demand is for Santosh Kumar Mastana, a whistleblower who had raised doubts about the recruitment exams and a previous complaint about the quality of the exams. The students have asked for him to be brought back to the finance department and have said anybody who says anything about the examination system should not be punished in any way.

Hunger Strike Also Ends

The suspension of the wider protest was accompanied by the end of hunger strikes by several student leaders. Three protesters - Rupesh Kumar Pal, Savita Kumari and Rahul Kranti - ended their 15-day hunger strike on Wednesday.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato had ended his hunger strike a day earlier after meeting ministers and legislators who visited him at Ranchi’s Sadar Hospital. He came to his decision after talking to government officials and as the investigation into alleged examination irregularities continued.

Mahato said he appreciated the government’s response and noted that the investigation was already into who is responsible for the recruitment examination system. He also said students would continue to assist in removing corruption from the recruitment process.

Two-Month Deadline for Government

The end of the 26-day protest gives the Jharkhand government a short time to show some progress on the students’ demands. The two-month deadline issued by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch means that the government’s handling of the investigations and related reforms will remain under close scrutiny of the student community.

For government jobs, examination transparency is a big concern. Recruitment examinations can determine career opportunities for thousands of aspirants and allegations of paper leaks, procedural lapses or other irregularities are particularly sensitive.

So students have pointed out in the course of their inquiry that the process of fair and credible investigation must go beyond simply cancelling examinations. They hope the authorities will find out what is happening and take action, and hold people accountable and put in place safeguards so that this doesn’t happen again.

Now that the protest is suspended and not permanently withdrawn, the next two months could be crucial. If the government can turn the investigation around and the students’ demands are met, the dispute may be resolved. But if the students feel their concerns are not addressed, the agitation could also return after the deadline.

For now, the suspension of the protest is a temporary de-escalation in the Jharkhand recruitment examination dispute. The focus is no longer on the streets, but on the government’s investigation and its ability to achieve real reforms within the two-month time frame the protesting students have set out.