Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation employees' proposed statewide strike on May 20 has been withdrawn based on instructions from the Karnataka High Court.
The ruling has offered critical relief to lakhs of commuters across the state who were worried about the disruption of public transport services. KSRTC Joint Action Committee convener Jayadevaraje Urs agreed that the strike was being called off in respect of the High Court’s order.
The unions of the transport workers had already notified the government beforehand that they would be going on strike against the remaining demands of the labour issues, he said.
High Court Directs Unions To Withdraw Strike
This led to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Karnataka High Court. Following arguments from both sides, the court allegedly ordered transport employees to withdraw the strike and requested the state government to hold a review with the representatives of the unions as soon as it could.
The court further noted that Chief Minister Siddaramaiah or the state transport minister need to set aside a meeting soon to address employee grievances. After the order was signed, the Joint Action Committee declared the strike notice was due to be withdrawn, as per the official notice. Jayadevaraje Urs said the unions had a firm respect for the judiciary and would be willing to take the chances of a dialogue with the government if provided by the High Court.
Unions Declare Workers’ Right To Protest
Vijay Bhaskar, the Joint Action Committee General Secretary, strongly condemned what he views as developments that undermine the democratically guaranteed right of all workers to protest. He also said that the Government could have started by talking with Unions directly instead of forcing negotiations through a PIL.
Some of the concerns raised by transport workers had been admitted in the High Court at the hearing, he added. Union leaders said the issue shouldn't be a matter of prestige or confrontation. Rather, they urged the authorities to seriously look into employees' demands on them, and then talk it out.
Insights Into the Situation: Transport Employees
The unions of transportation workers and others have requested better salary arrangements, changes to increments, and a rise in Dearness Allowance (DA). Employees have said growing living costs and work pressure have driven these revisions. State government officials also faced criticism for the Implementation of the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA), which did not stop transport workers from staging protests in the past despite such restrictions, said union leaders.
Vijay Bhaskar said the Joint Action Committee is not a group that acts as one big organisation only, but is a collective body to make sure that all groups of employees have a voice. He also said some unions that withdrew their support for the strike were likely under pressure.
A Government Meeting May Be In Line
KSRTC Managing Director has also expressed a willingness for union representatives to sit with the government. But no official date for a meeting with the Chief Minister has been announced yet. The dispute once again underscores the mounting tensions between transportation labour rights workers in Karnataka and the Karnataka government. The move has once more brought up labour rights, wages and working conditions.
Commuters throughout the state of Karnataka, as the strike winds down, should be able to work on their normal schedule on May 20 without a severe shock and with smooth operation on May 20. The long-term solution to employee demands is, however, likely to depend on the result of later talks between the unions and the state government.